A central processor for a general-purpose digital data processing system. The processor has a pair of caches, an operand cache for operands and an instruction cache for instructions, as well as a plurality of execution units, where each execution unit executes a different set of instructions of the instruction repertoire of the central processor. An instruction fetch unit fetches instructions from the instruction cache and stores them in an instruction stack. The central pipeline unit which has five stages obtains instructions of a given program in program order from the instruction stack of the instruction fetch unit. In the first stage of the central pipeline unit, the instruction is decoded; in the second, the address preparation of an operand whose address is included in the instruction is initiated; in the third cycle, the address preparation is completed and the operand cache is accessed; in the fourth cycle, the operand is selected from the operand cache; and, in the fifth cycle, the instruction and operand are transmitted to the one of the plurality of execution units capable of executing the instruction. The results of the execution of each instruction by each execution unit are stored in a results stack associated therewith. A collector unit causes the results of the execution of the instructions of the program in execution to be stored in a master safe store register in program order, which is determined by the order of issuance of the instructions by the central pipeline unit. The collector also issues write commands to store results of the execution of instructions into the operand cache.
* 5748932 Cache memory system for dynamically altering single cache memory line as either branch target entry or prefetch instruction queue based upon instruction sequence
* 5682492 Computer processor with distributed pipeline control that allows functional units to complete operations out of order while maintaining precise interrupts
* 5781753 Semi-autonomous RISC pipelines for overlapped execution of RISC-like instructions within the multiple superscalar execution units of a processor having distributed pipeline control for speculative and out-of-order execution of complex instructions
* 5768575 Semi-Autonomous RISC pipelines for overlapped execution of RISC-like instructions within the multiple superscalar execution units of a processor having distributed pipeline control for sepculative and out-of-order execution of complex instructions
* 5881265 Computer processor with distributed pipeline control that allows functional units to complete operations out of order while maintaining precise interrupts
6212629 Method and apparatus for executing string instructions
Please note there is up to 60 days of latency in this Status indicator for certain status conditions. You can obtain up-to-date Status indicator readings by ordering PAIR for the file.
An application with the status "Published" (which means it is pending) may be recently abandoned, but not yet updated to reflect its abandoned status. However, an application filed less than one year ago is unlikely to be abandoned.
A patent with the status "Granted" may be recently expired, but not yet updated to reflect its expired status. However, it is highly unlikely a patent less than 3.5 years old would be expired.
An application with the status "Abandoned" is almost always current, but there is a small chance it was recently revived and the status not yet updated.
This priority date is an estimated earliest
priority date and is purely an estimation. This date should not be
taken as legal conclusion. No representations are made as to the
accuracy of the date listed. Please consult a legal professional
before relying on this date.