Tasks and responsibilities:
• Oversees patent litigations in both the U.S. and foreign jurisdictions, including discovery, trials, appeals, patent interferences, and patent re-examinations.
• Works with members of the litigation team and outside the legal department to prepare witnesses and draft and respond to discovery requests, declarations, and interrogatories.
• Develops briefs, oral arguments, and trial strategies, including providing guidance and direction to outside counsel.
• Contributes to development and maintenance of company trademarks and copyrights.
• Evaluates the validity and scope of competitors’ patents and potential conflicts with company products.
• Evaluates and develops company policies and processes to secure and manage intellectual property.
• Provides other general legal advice and represents the company in matters relating to intellectual property law.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
Required educational background:
• Law degree from top-tier U.S. law school.
• Admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. state and, if in a state other than California, be eligible for admission under California’s rules for registered in-house counsel.
• Licensed to practice at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• Undergraduate technical degree, advanced degree preferred.
• Technical study can be in any field, but must be able to quickly learn and understand the company’s technology with enough detail to contribute to cases. The company’s technology includes the fields of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, optics, and engineering with a focus on biological analysis systems and their control systems, biomedical engineering, bioinformatics, and related fields.
Required and Preferred experiential background:
• At least 4 years practicing as a patent attorney with substantial experience in patent litigation and freedom to operate analyses.
• Some experience handling trademark prosecution or counseling desirable.
• Independence, with outstanding analytical, communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, as well as a business mindset.
• Experience working on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable and variable factors.
• Experience in exercising good judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining actionable solutions and business-oriented results.
• Experience interacting with senior internal and external personnel.
• Knowledge and skills typically acquired through previous positions in fast-paced law firm or corporate environments which involved responsibility
How To Apply
To Apply follow this link: https://www.illumina.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=4803&CurrentPage=20&sid=40